Class Assignment #1




Three Things...

In this class the most important thing I would like to work on things that I am not familiar with in terms of design options. I don't have experience with web design or any product design. When we talked about that in class, it seemed really interesting to me. I think that branching out would be nice, but I really want to work on things I am more comfortable with (branding for example). I would like to focus on visual communication and developing that relationship and conversation with people who are viewing my designs.

If I were to work on a larger project, I would really like to do something like a book, or designing a series of books that have interactive elements. Meaning pockets, pop-up elements, and really things that engage the reader with the book. It allows me to explore illustration as well as product design. I saw a band recently produce something like this, but instead of a book, it was illustrations mixed with lyrics and pop-ups and pockets that held small 7" inch vinyl records. Something similar to that is what I would really love to make. I want to push the unconventional design upon things that are otherwise conventional in their design.

My concerns that I have in my quest for becoming a designer, is really not understanding the limits of my designs- my capabilities with software/design mediums, knowing when to push the design, and then when to hold back.